John represents healthcare and commercial liability insurance clients in civil litigation matters. He also represents clients in business and corporate matters as well as estate planning and administration, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, transfer-on-death deeds, guardianships, prenuptial agreements, blended family planning and a broad range of estate planning options. Small business ownership is often closely tied to family estate planning and his practice includes incorporation, business buy-outs, asset transfer agreements and business succession planning.
He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Newman University and graduated from Washburn University School of Law in 1972. He served as associate editor of the Washburn Law Journal.
Admitted to practice in 1972, John joined the former Boyer, Donaldson & Stewart firm, which merged with Gilliland & Hayes, LLC in 2002. He is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Kansas, the United States District Court for Kansas, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court. John is a founding member of Gibson Watson Marino LLC.
In addition to his professional memberships, John is a member of the Wichita Executives Association, on the AAA of Kansas Traffic Safety Board of Directors, and serves at the Christian Legal Society Legal Aid Clinic.
- Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas
- Newman University
- Bachelor of Science degree
- Major: Business Administration
- Christian Legal Society, Member
- AAA, Kansas Traffic Safety Board of Directors
- Boyer, Donaldson & Stewart, 1972
- Gilliland & Hayes, LLC, 2002
- Wichita Bar Association, Member
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- Kansas Association for Justice, Member
- Kansas Association of Hospital Attorneys, Member
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Wichita Estate Planning Council, Member
Current Employment Position
- Founding Member
- Civil Litigation
- Estate Planning
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Defense
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Personal Injury Defense
- Supreme Court of Kansas
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court